Repainted after the 1968 fire.
Safe Interior Door
Single Safe Door
On lift being moved.
Safe on second floor prepped for moving.
Lift prepped to move safe out of second story.
Southwest Corner of Second Floor
Extensive fire damage can be seen in the corner where the safe sat.
Originally housed in the mezzanine, it now lives at the Effingham County Cultural Center and Museum Association.
Trunk belonging to Gray Herndon, grandfather of Jon Noll, and great-great-grandson of William H. Herndon, Lincoln's last law partner.
On loan to the Depot by Jackson Hensley & Alice Martin.
This desk belonged to John Todd Stuart, and is said to have been in his office when Abraham Lincoln was his partner in the Stuart & Lincoln Law Office, 1837-1841. Upon Mr. Stuart’s death in 1885, the desk was moved to the home of his widow, Mary V. Stuart, 1119 S. Fourth Street in Springfield. While there, a fire damaged the desk slightly, charring the back and left side.
In February 1965, Bill Loud, owner of the Petersburg antique shop, Salem Country Store, purchased the desk from Robert Stuart, grandson of John Todd Stuart. J. D. Reidlinger purchased the desk in October 1965 as a gift for his partner in an Arabian horse breeding operation, Walter Schimanski of Decatur. Schimanski shipped the desk as repayment of a loan made to him by another Arabian horse breeder, Jackson Hensley of Taos, NM. The desk returned to Illinois in 2012 when Mr. Hensley married Alice Martin of New Berlin.
photo by Rich Saal, The State Journal-Register